Saturday, August 9, 2008

Post Comic Con 2008 Work




















It's been a very long time since I've posted. I slacked off, set aside drawing for a while... next thing I knew, 6 months had passed without drawing! Then Elaine and I went to Comic Con 2008, and I was re-inspired! This is what I want to spend the next part of my life doing.

These are quick drawings of Rider and Slappy, our monkeys we took along with us to Comic Con. Yes, I am aware that Elaine and I are the only ones who believe they are real, but I figure that's everyone else's problem and not ours (we believe in 'live and let live').

I drew until I felt I had the essence of their personalities, so there isn't much in the way of finishing details. These drawings were done with my new Bic 'Re-Action' mechanical pencils. I like this pencil because it has a springiness that prevents the lead from snapping off as much and gradually darkens a line when you bare down instead of just getting immediately darker.

I like mechanical pencils in the first place because sharpening annoys me; if I sharpen a pencil, then draw a line, it isn't sharp anymore so I have to sharpen it again. Yes, I know by definition that this is 'anal;' that description suits me in many areas. Anyway, I found these new Bic pencils at Walgreens, but only in 0.5mm. I would like 0.7mm and 0.9mm, but apparently at this point (no pun intended) Bic just makes the 0.5mm. Oh, and the size is written on the pencil, which is always a plus. I just wish I had a way to identify the hardness better (I have B, 2B, and HB leads); I stick labels on now, but they eventually lift off and just looks sloppy.

No comments: